Happy New Year!
We accomplished several goals in 2018 while maintaining our high standards for programs and outreach. Here is a partial list:
- Once again, our branch was recognized, along with CHAR, for our joint program on the ballot initiatives.
- In keeping with our theme and steps to get there, I completed my Start Smart/Work Smart training in November.
- Illinois became the 37th state to ratify the ERA. Only one state to go, and Arizona is poised to do it! This is Liz’s special passion and my state from our =Means= work,
- Several of us went to the state convention in Southern California where we learned a lot and received massive doses of motivation.
- We completed our 100th Anniversary Research and Project Grant two years ahead of our original schedule and almost five years before National’s required due date.
- Ran Speech Trek with our new campus partner, Cosumnes River College, hosting the competition. Sent six girls to Tech Trek. Gave four $2,000 scholarships. Our branch does it all EXCEPT sending young women to NCCWSL (pronounced ‘nick whistle’), the National Conference for College Women Student Leaders. We hope to change that in 2019.
- Topped the year off with our annual philanthropic holiday party. We collected 291 books for Love, Talk, Read, our group of choice for the third year. Celeste Roseberry-McKibbin, Ph.D., spoke to us about how and why she started this program. Just one of her inspiring quotes; “The link between academic failure and delinquency, violence, and crime is welded to reading failure. The One World Literacy Foundation reports that two-thirds of fourth graders reading below grade level will end up in jail or on welfare.” Celeste is currently collecting 8,000 books for Paradise as they lost five elementary schools and the public library. Our books will go towards that goal. In thanking Celeste, I invited her to join our branch – and she did! Welcome, Celeste.
We need to keep doing everything in 2019, plus help get the Sacramento Commission on Women off the ground and plan our 100th Branch Anniversary party for Feb. 25, 2020.
So, pat yourselves on the back. You all deserve it! And thank you from both Liz and myself.