Board Briefs October 7, 2019 by Cherril Peabody
- Co-President C. Goehring reported that she attended an AAUW California Funds luncheon in Danville. She plans to attend the California State AAUW convention in April 2020 in San Francisco.
- Co-President L. Jordan attended a Fundraising Committee meeting scheduled to develop a plan for the transition to using MPP (Members Payment Program) for membership renewal and developing a process for member donations that are not connected to the member’s renewal.
- Program Co-Directors C. Locke and K. Burley reported that plans for the Tech Trek Showcase and Brunch on Oct. 19 and the Nov. 16 meeting about homeless families are progressing well. Books for Love, Talk, Read will be collected again this year at the Holiday Luncheon on Dec. 14.
- Speech Trek Co-Director A. Arneill announced that Speech Trek contest workshops will be held at all Elk Grove high schools during the first two weeks in November.
- Membership Director J. Stuter reported that she has set a goal to recruit 10 new members a month.
- Scholarship Co-Director L. Patterson announced that a gift of $4,000 was received from a former branch scholarship recipient. The Scholarship Committee met on Sept. 28 and decided that March 2, 2020, will be the deadline date for 2020-2021 applications. Five $2,000 scholarships will be awarded, four Branch awards and one award in memory of Ruth Burgess. Thanks to the generosity of our members, four scholarships will be given in Ruth‘s name, the 2020-2021 award and one each year for the next three years.
- Jordan presented the updated branch Policies and Procedures for board approval. She made a motion, seconded by J. Stuter, to include a new provision in the document: Spouses or significant others may attend more than two interest group meetings when transportation for the member is a consideration. The motion carried. J. Stuter moved, A. Arneill seconded, to accept the updated Policies and Procedures as amended. The motion carried.
- Jordan announced that the branch needs two Nominating Committee members and still is looking for a permanent Finance Director.