Great Decisions has been a popular interest group for many years, but it is not exclusively an AAUW interest group. It is a program of the nonprofit Foreign Policy Association, which publishes the annual briefing booklets used by all the Great Decisions groups. The groups meet from January or February through October in members’ homes to discuss the international issues presented in the booklets.
Our branch has three Great Decisions groups, one of which is not currently accepting new members because of space considerations. The other two would welcome new members and are just getting started with this year’s topics. GD I meets on the third Monday at 7 p.m. The current chair of that group is Cathy Locke. GD III, chaired by Marlys Huez, meets on the third Monday at 1 p.m. Please contact the chair if you are interested in joining one of the groups. GD II, chaired by Joan Hammond, is currently full.
Here are the very timely topics for 2019:
- Refugees and Global Migration
- The Middle East: Regional Disorder
- Nuclear Negotiations: Back to the Future?
- The Rise of Populism in Europe
- Decoding U.S.-China Trade
- Cyber Conflicts and Geopolitics
- The United States and Mexico: Partnership Tested
- State of the State Department and Diplomacy