What is STEMEd for Girls??? By Liz Jordan
Did you know?
In the summer of 2021, more than 600 teen girls from across the U.S. and the U.K. took part in AAUW’s inaugural STEMEd for Girls virtual workshop series, which was designed exclusively for girls in grades 9 through 12, and their parents and guardians.
The program, which was made possible through the generous support of Arconic Foundation, was designed to pave the way for girls’ STEM success in college and beyond. AAUW especially encouraged girls of color to participate.
Girls took part in six 1-1/2-hour sessions over two months that showcased how accessible and exciting STEM fields can be. Twelve (12) STEM Ambassadors, scientists and educators who are leaders in their fields, provided advice and inspiration while highlighting a variety of subjects, including biology, chemistry, physics, engineering, math and technology.
AAUW is announcing that STEMEd for Girls is returning for this summer 2022. For middle school and high school girls, just starting to explore interest in science and math, for girls who have already decided on a probable career path, this program can offer girls and their parents/ guardians/caregivers support and encouragement.
STEMEd for Girls is a series of lively, informative and engaging virtual workshops that will pave the way for your success as you move through high school, into college and eventually on to your career. Designed for those who want to stand out among their peers, the program:
- Demystifies the world of STEM and shows how accessible—and exciting—these fields can be.
- Explores the different subject areas that you can choose as a college major, including biology, chemistry, physics, engineering, mathematics, and technology/computer science.
- Shows the many types of lucrative jobs and careers a STEM education can prepare you for.
- Connects you up with a STEM Ambassador who can inspire and guide you in your education and beyond.
- Works with your parent, guardian or caregiver to make sure you have all the support and encouragement you need on your pathway to STEM.
Gain confidence, have fun, get inspired — and join a national community of girls and women excited about the endless opportunities in STEM.