AAUW CA Tidbits, Forwarded by Liz Jordan
AAUW CA Office New Mailing Address:
Due to the closure of our local UPS facility, we have moved our mailing address to:
PO Box 160067
Sacramento, California 95816-0067
Karen Vanderwerken, Director, AAUW Fund Committee Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org
|END-OF-YEAR DEADLINES AND DONATIONS!
Zooming In: factoids from our record four Fund Events:
View the 2022 recipients, read their bios, watch any of the videos of the four Fund Events, and/or donate to AAUW by clicking HERE.
Are you looking for a branch or IBC program speaker? Schedule one of our scholars/grantees to provide a more detailed presentation through April 2023. Click HERE to request a scholar/grantee speaker for your branch.
Dec. 31, 2022, is the deadline for donating this year to AAUW Fund. Use Branch/Individual Contribution Form when sending in branch and member donations.
Remember Legacy Circle Gifting! What will be your AAUW legacy?
Consider using your IRA RMD (required minimum distribution) by giving directly to AAUW. Contact: email@example.com.
Giving your time, your energy, and your dollars — all make AAUW California Fund great.
NOMINATIONS & ELECTIONS
Charmen Goehring, Nominations & Elections Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org
|LOVE AAUW? WANT TO GIVE BACK?
This year we are looking for a President-Elect to serve one year followed by two years as president. I know that Sandi will be leaving some big shoes to fill. Each of us has strengths and weaknesses to share. Come forward and let your light shine. We need someone who cares about Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Women’s Rights, Financial Security and so much more.Please think at least twice before you say you can’t do it. AAUW matters, women matter, everyone deserves a chance. If President-Elect is too big a bite, how about CFO or one of the director positions?
National Member Perks
You may not know or, perhaps, have forgotten that AAUW members get all sorts of perks. You can get discounts on cruises, cars, and car insurance. Check out the bucketsful of deals on the national website HERE. And whenever you take advantage of these benefits, AAUW receives royalties to support its work.
NOVEMBER 8th WAS A GOOD DAY FOR WOMEN!
The election is finally over and overall, AAUW members can be pretty happy with the results. Here are a few highlights:
- One woman was added to each house of Congress: the U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate, bringing the numbers to 124 (H) and 25 (S).
- Of the total of 149, 54 are women of color.
- With Nancy Pelosi stepping down as Speaker of the House, we lost the most powerful woman’s voice in government, but still have a woman on the minority leadership team, Minority Whip Katherine Clark.
- Governors of 12 states are now women.
- 23 percent of all mayors across the nation are women, including our brand-new and first woman mayor of Los Angeles, Karen Bass.
- 32 women won seats in the California Legislature (total confirmed 44, three pending)
- All executive positions in California except Governor are filled by women, including Secretary of State, Lieutenant Governor, Treasurer, and Controller.
- Proposition 1 prevailed and women’s right to control their own reproductive choices is now enshrined in our constitution.
The state Public Policy Committee thanks each and every AAUW California member who voted, who assisted in our Voter Education (VE) campaign by spreading our messages on social media, who took the pledge to vote for Prop. 1 (we had 437 sign up!), and who worked within their branches to do their own VE events.
Next challenge: Let’s add California to that list of states with a woman governor! Together we can – and will – change the world!