Strategic Planning Committee Working Hard to Redesign our Branch By Liz Jordan
On Sunday, May 1, eight members of the branch met to begin the process of planning how to help our branch through the latest leadership crises. Many members may remember that the branch has gone through this process twice before in the last 30 years. Each time, a committee met, figured out what were the problems in finding members willing to lead, and designing solutions that were imaginative and created with enthusiasm. But the last two times, we have not actually followed through with enacting many of those solutions. This time, we must succeed.
The committee went through long discussions on such questions as:
– Why does AAUW Sacramento Exist?
– What is important to us?
– What do we want to do as a branch?
– What do we need to do better?
– Why external trends could lead to increased success and engagement?
Finally, we came to the hard part: How do we achieve our goals? Ideas discussed were:
- streamline our activities and our board of directors,
- become more nimble in our responses to change,
- restructure our programs, identify a yearly theme,
- engage Interest Groups in branch activity and action
We broke into subcommittees for improving our outreach, restructuring the board and governance, restructuring programs and improving communications. We plan to meet and share what we have developed in our subcommittees on June 1, 2022.
Any member with ideas or energy to offer should contact Marty McKnew. See her contact information in the directory.