Important March 16th Branch Meeting
7- 8:30 p.m. on Zoom!!
- Tech Trek: over last three years, 18 local middle school girls to STEM camp, for total tuition of $16,500. Imagine the impact over the last 22 years!?!
- Speech Trek: over last five years, 37 local student speakers won $4,675 in awards.
- Scholarship: over past five years, 21 local women have received $42,000 in scholarship money toward a college degree.
- NCCWSL: for the past two years, we have sent 5 young women student leaders to a national leadership conference at Univ. of Maryland for $2,400.
- Advocacy: last year several members lobbied our state legislators about the impact of legislation on the equitable treatment of women and men all over California.
- From 2019-2021 we helped reconstruct a new Sacramento County Commission on the Status of Women and Girls.
CALLING ALL MEMBERS TO A BRANCH MEETING TO BRAINSTORM SOLUTIONS. March 16, from 7 to 8:30 p.m. over Zoom, we will discuss in small groups, 5 critical questions to help us find answers for the future of our branch.
- Why do we belong to AAUW?
- How do we ignite interest and motivation among members to continue our mission of empowering women and girls?
- What inspires or prevents us from serving on branch board or a committee?
- What inspires or prevents us from participating in meetings and programs?
- Should we discontinue some of the outreach efforts described above?
Today, the Sacramento Branch of AAUW is in a crisis of leadership. We cannot find volunteers to step forward to lead some of these important outreach efforts. The Nominating Committee has searched for several weeks to fill necessary board positions; some critical positions remain unfilled.
FACTS: A branch must have an executive officer, a treasurer and a branch secretary to exist.
- Over several weeks, the Nominating Committee has found two of the three required volunteers to serve for the next two years.
- No local students will be attending STEM CAMP this summer from AAUW Sacramento. We have $17,000 in the account to send six girls. We don’t have a Tech Trek Director.
- We are not participating in Lobby Week in April organized by AAUW CA because we do not have a Public Policy Director.
FACT: No outreach can occur, no money spent, no beneficiaries awarded without the structure of the branch.
The March 2022 branch meeting is an opportunity to brainstorm some solutions. Please attend! You will receive the Zoom link in an email prior to the March 16th meeting.